Actemium Design UK provides top tier engineering solutions for all our clients’ design and consultancy needs, with the ability to call on a wealth of specialist knowledge and experience, advising and supporting your innovation.
One of the services we offer at Actemium Design UK is to carry out engineering substantiation on behalf of our customers. The purpose of this process is to demonstrate that the existing or proposed Structures, Systems and Components (SSC) claimed to perform a safety function necessary for a facility to operate under licensing conditions can adequately deliver that safety function under normal, fault, transient and maintenance conditions. This includes:
- A detailed examination of all operations carried out on plant
- Identification of safety hazards associated with those operations
- Determination of the safety functions that must be maintained to prevent each hazard from leading to an unsafe situation
- Recognition of the Structures, Systems and Components (SSC) that uphold those safety functions and any identified shortfalls captured in an Engineering Schedule
- Recommended installation is within a stable indoor Environment without wind.
An important aspect of this work is to assess the equipment performing a safety function against the requirements of modern standards and good practice. In cases where these requirements have become more stringent, shortfalls are registered and the significance of those shortfalls in safety terms is examined when considering the case for worthwhile improvements. The engineering substantiation work is carried out by Actemium Design UK Suitably Qualified and Experienced Personnel (SQEP) with extensive backgrounds in a design office and /or operational plant environments. The activities undertaken typically include:
- Desktop safety reviews, including review of all relevant Safety Case documentation, such as the Engineering Schedule
- Hazard and Operability (HAZOP) and Hazard Analysis (HAZAN) studies to act as a methodical and structured approach to the assessment of hazards
Plant surveys to assess current condition and operability of plant safety features
- Compliance with applicable safety legislation, procedures and standards
- Production of associated engineering documentation including Design Substantiation Report (DSR), Design Justification Reports (DJR) and Design Assessment Reports (DAR